[TriLUG] Two-Up Postscript Output

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Wed Apr 9 21:57:48 EDT 2003

Does anybody know how to do 2-up output to a postscript queue?
I want to do two things: 2-up of postscript pages formatted from
say Open Office or Acrobat Reader, and 2-up of ASCII text files.
This is just general 2-up.

Also for text files, I think I want to try 'a2ps', because I would
like to look at some special language-specific formatting, such as
italicizing comments and such.  For source code files, I really want
to print diff output side-by-side (not sdiff output exactly) where
the two file's lines are bolded (changed & new lines) or struck-thru
(missing lines), but are otherwise lines up.  This is obviously for
code reviews.  I have already thought of awk or perl filters of
sdiff output, but don't know how to drive the output results.  Of
course this side-by-side output is not 2-up, but just wide output
in a small font so as to get at least 164 characters on a line; a
nice touch would be to draw a box around the whole thing and make
the headers and footers in a larger bold type (filename, page num,
owner, timestamp, and so on).

Also, who knows where I can get some !cheap! monospaced fonts to
use instead of courier for text output.  I don't want to buy BitStream
Mono-Swiss (an Arial-like font) or Adobe's Mono-Arial -- $99 a font.

Oh, and does anyone know of where I can find the old "Hershey" fonts
(or if they are already in most Linux distributions) and other old
bit-mapped font sets usable from Linux?  Most of the ones I remember
where much nicer looking than most true-type fonts today -- just
proportioned better and more pleasant on the eyes.  I am not exactly
sure how to cause most Linux output to the old fonts though -- you
used to have to specify point resolution of the printer (bitmaps
optimized for 300dpi, 200dpi, 150dpi, 75dpi, so on) as well as the
font size desired.  And of course I was using troff at that time .. :-)

--
Scott G. Hall,
Raleigh, NC, USA