[TriLUG] more spamassassin, procmail, damaged 'from' line and beyond

Turnpike Man turnpike420 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 10 12:02:57 EDT 2003

Remember this thread just recently:
http://www.trilug.org/mailman/htdig/trilug/Week-of-Mon-20030331/015426.html

I have on RH 7.2:
procmail-3.21-1
sendmail-8.11.6-23.72
spamassassin-2.20-1  (which I know isn't the latest, 2.52?)

It appears in my attempts to get SpamAssassin running a few months ago, before
joining TriLUG, I was having the same problem as the above thread, the missing
F in the From lines in the header.  Now I'm trying my hand at SA again.  Does
anyone know if this has been fixed if I were to upgrade my procmail and sa
packages?  Is procmail even required to have SA working with sendmail?  Why,
why not?

My current ~/.procmailrc file is as follows, and when in place, none of my mail
gets delivered, it just vanishes as far as I know.  Was this because of the F
in the From line or some other possible issue?  Have I not called spamassassin
correctly?  These were RPM installs.  (to be perfectly honest, I don't know
exactly what all of these lines mean either, I'll put #comment on them):

-------------------------------
PMDIR=$HOME/procmail   #no/kinda
LOGFILE=$PMDIR/log     #no/kinda
VERBOSE=no             #yes/kinda

MAILDIR=$HOME/mail     #yes

:0fw
| spamassassin -P
#I see this everywhere, supposed to point to bin??

:0:
caughtspam
#I see this everywhere, seems the norm, I kinda get it, if spam, put
#in caughtspam folder?

Well, I have more to ask, but I'll go with this for now.

thanks,
David M.

~~life is but a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves~~