[TriLUG] Need Hardware Recommendation

Ben Pitzer uncleben at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 10 17:27:41 EDT 2003

Paul,

You don't need a super-beefy box for this mail volume.  100MB /day is
nothing.  POP and IMAP do require some quick disk I/O, so I'd probably go
with SCSI disks, RAID5 and mirrored, possibly in an external array.  I'd
look at the HP Proliants.  Dells do good work, but don't go overboard and
get yourself a massive behemoth that you don't need.  Single processor
should be fine for your needs so long as it's powerful enough (which it
should be), and you'll need to look at the amount of disk space you're
already using to determine what you'll need for mail storage.  An HP
ProLiant ML370 G3 server should do well for your needs, and it's not
overpriced.  4u, 6 drive bays, Xeon procs, DDR memory, rack mountable or
tower, 3 hot-pluggable redundant power supplies, and the Lights Out Remote
Management boards make them an excellent option for what you're talking
about, and they run Linux like a charm, from what I hear.  Give them a look,
and good luck.

Regards,
Ben Pitzer

"Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."
 --Ben Franklin--