[TriLUG] iptables - sometimes stops working

Corey Mutter mutterc at nc.rr.com
Thu Apr 10 22:50:18 EDT 2003

Is the firewall doing NAT? Maybe connections are aging-out of that table...

Also, another way you can debug this (if you think a rule is getting
traffic dropped) is to make every traffic-dropping rule log the packets
(easy to do by creating a chain that logs the packet then drops it, then
jumping to that chain everywhere that you would do -j DROP). That way,
you get insight into what's being dropped when and why.

Corey