[TriLUG] Re: virtual hosting

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Sat Apr 12 03:06:31 EDT 2003

Chris Merrill <cmerrill at nc.rr.com> wrote:

> Scott G. Hall wrote:
>
>> I am now hosting my own websites - and my previous customers - on Fat
>> Cow,
>> http://www.fatcow.com/plan/ at $99 a year with full FTP, telnet, PHP,
>> ASP,
>> MySQL, JSP and compiled Solaris Sparc binaries; 100 MB storage, web
>> mail,
>> SMTP & POP servers, email forwarding; search engine and shopping cart
>> tools;
>> management charts; all on a Sun cluster farm (load balancing) with 3
>> DS3's
>> to the Internet.
>

> Apparently the deal has changed since you signed up.  From their FAQs:
> " We do not support the following services: <snip> JSP, Java Serverlets,
> " Active Server Pages (ASP) <snip> Telnet or SSH access.
>
> web mail is $24/mo extra.

OOopps!!  I haven't look at my invoices for the last quarter.  I guess that
my costs have indeed gone up and services gone down.  I guess that means my
serverlets are broken.  I have telnet'ed in the past to a local shell rooted
in my domain's home directory, so I guess they changed that as well
(security?).  And I didn't mean ASP in my original post, as that is a
micro-sloth only COM/.NET service.

But they still can do it cheaper than I can.  And I can compile any scripts
to make them faster (Solaris binaries) -- though even when their servers are
under load I can't tell a difference in Perl scripts vs. Perl binaries.

--
Scott G. Hall,
Raleigh, NC, USA