[TriLUG] recommendation for laptop running vmware

Lee Fickenscher elfick at trilug.org
Sat Apr 12 15:12:01 EDT 2003

Glen,
I would have to say that Dell would be an excellent choice. I run Linux
on my Dell Inspiron 8200 and the only issue I have is that their new
Truemobile 1180 mini-pci 802.11b card is not (yet) supported under linux.
It is a broadcom 4301 chip as opposed to their old Truemobile 1150 that
was an orinico (I think). I'm still pissed at them for making that
change without telling anyone (my invoice actually lists the 1150), but
other than that, it is a great machine. So if you do get a Dell, don't
bother getting the mini-pci 802.11b card unless you just want it there
in case someone finally makes a driver for it.

I'm told though that the IBMs are a little hardier.

Video works great, but getting 3d accel was a little trying (I made the
mistake of getting the ATI version, get the nvidia version and you
should be fine).

I feel compelled to ask though... what could you possibly need to do at
home that would require winblows?

-Lee

--
Microsoft: for whom the bell tolls...