[TriLUG] recommendation for laptop running vmware

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sun Apr 13 20:53:20 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-04-12 at 19:24, Ron Joffe wrote:
> On Saturday 12 April 2003 12:31 pm, Glen Ford wrote:
> >     I am looking to buy a laptop to run Windows stuff for home and Linux
> > for my work.
> > I would like to run Vmware with Linux 8.0 as either native or guest
> > operating system.
> > I want to make sure that the laptop I buy will run Linux without any
> > weird compatibility issues such as configuring the video.
> > I was leaning toward a Dell laptop only because of price and convenience
> > of ordering.
> > Does anyone know of any issues with Dell or can anyone recommend an
> > other brand based on my requirements.
> >
> > Thanks for any help pointers
> >
> > /glen
>

> Glen,
>
> I have been running Thinkpads with SuSE and VMWare for about 3 years now. My
> current machine is an A31P. Everything works dandy from the high res display
> (1600x1200) to the bluetooth and wireless on 802.11 nic.

Hi Glen,

I wish I could say the same about my ThinkPad A21p.  Its a great laptop
and I love everything about it *EXCEPT* it won't work with the VMWare
drivers at anything other than the default 640x480.  Which is rotten
considering that I have a 1600x1200 LCD screen.

Any yes, I realize that its really the fault of VMWare's drivers and not
the ATI R128 chipset.  I've sent the folks at VMWare no less than three
very detailed bug reports and they've chosen to completely ignore me.
So I'm mostly using Crossover Office in conjunction with Word2K for the
(very) few documents that I can't handle in OpenOffice.  Its fairly good
solution but I'd prefer the VM approach for certain tasks including web
development (eg. check how things render in IE).

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher