[TriLUG] Trying to set up a Dual Drive Linux and XP System

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Mon Apr 14 14:17:43 EDT 2003

Or as an alternative to Ken's alternative, you can install WinXP on the first HDD (HD0) and install RHL 9 on the second HDD(HD1) with Grub or lilo installing to the second HDD (HD1). Then use bootpart.exe (www.winimage.com/bootpart) and add the Linux installation to your Windows XP boot manager. Really play with Penquin brains.

Reguardless what you do, PLEASE make a boot disk during the linux install, just in case.  :)

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 13:02:38 -0400
Ken Wahl <ken at kenwahl.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 at 10:23:05AM -0400, Kevin Flanagan wrote:
> > On Sun, 2003-04-13 at 10:15, Chris wrote:
> > > Greetings,
> > >
> > > I have acquired an additional 20Gig drive and for a box I am currently
> > > running Windows XP on. Can anybody tell me how to install Redhat 7.3 on the
> > > additional drive and configure the boot loader.
> > >
> > > ps If Mike Johnson sees this.... Hi Mike!
> > >
> > > Chris Rigano
> >

> > Chris,
> >
> > 	Install Windows first.
> > 	Install Redhat 9 next, skip 7x, and 8 x unless this is a fairly slow
> > system.
> >

> > 	GRUB will configure itself just fine.
> >
> Alternatively, I have mine set up a little differently.
>
> WinXP in on hda and RH 8 is on hdb.  On hda I've installed the
> SmartBootManager http://btmgr.sourceforge.net  Grub is on the linux disk
> hdb.  I have BIOS set to boot hda by default.  SBM menu comes up and I
> choose any partition to boot including removable media or after a period
> of time that can be set it'll boot whichever partition you set as the
> default.
>
> Smart Boot Manager does a bunch of different things well.  It can boot
> any partition right from it's menu regardless of cylinders, etc.  I find
> it useful so if you want to boot off a CD you don't have to go into the
> bios to change anything.  When the SBM screen comes up just arrow down
> to the CD choice.  You can set SBM to boot different partitions
> depending on time of the day too.  It'll boot pretty much anything I
> think and plays well with any OS.
>
> Lots of options, I haven't played with all of them but I like it better
> than the "Grub controls all" setup.  To others, it just may seem like an
> unnecessary step in the boot process.  YMMV.
>
> It's important to remember though that you will still need Grub (or
> lilo) on the linux disk even if you install SBM on your C Drive (hda).
>
> http://btmgr.sourceforge.net
> --
> Ken Wahl  ken at kenwahl.org  http://www.kenwahl.org

Roy Vestal
rvestal at trilug.org
http://www.trilug.org/~rvestal

The box said "Install Windows 2000 or better", so I installed LINUX!