[TriLUG] Re: [lug] web log analyzer

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Tue Apr 15 08:05:47 EDT 2003

On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 10:36:34PM -0600, ryan wrote:
> hello,
>
> I'm looking into setting up a web log analyzer for our web site that is
> located off site in a hosting facility.  What I was hoping to accomplish
> was to set up a linux box that would monitor the logs remotely on site
> (of the IIS web server at the hosting facility).

Hmm, how exactly do you plan to "monitor" the logs? And how "up-to-date"
does the info have to be? One possible way would be to have a cronjob
that uses 'rsync' to copy the log files to your local box (since logfiles
change only at the end this would be a rather bandwitdh savy way of
syncing). But beware: if you use logrotation on the remote server you need
a bit more logic!

hth Ralf Mattes