[TriLUG] more spamassassin, procmail, sendmail

Turnpike Man turnpike420 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 16 17:37:17 EDT 2003

--- Jeremy Portzer wrote:

> > I use sendmail, so I don't suppose I have to worry about '.mbox' formats,
> > correct?
>
> Wrong -- "mbox" format is the name for the standard mailbox format
> that's been around *nix forever, including the default format used by
> sendmail.  These is the format used by /var/spool/mail/<your login name>
> and the format used by the files in ~/mail.  (There is traditionally no
> file extension for this type of file.)  It's possible that some people
> call this format something other than "mbox" -- however the name mbox is
> used by the UW IMAP/Pine developers whose mail tools I'm most familiar
> with.

Good to know... without the prior knowledge, now I feel dumb!  I'll make sure
to keep this in mind.  I suppose for /dev/null a lock doesn't matter b/c that
is garbage anyway... so garbage begits garbage... ?

Does this mean Corey may want to change certain ones of his so they lock?

> Yeah, spamassassin is not instantaneous. It runs a LOT of tests on the
> email.  It is known for using lots of RAM; 192 MB is not a huge amount,
> especially if you're running X, so your kernel might have to start
> swapping when running SA.  Swapping of course slows things down
> tremendously.

No X... well, classic is installed (TWM?), but I did the text login option, no
graphical login.

Thanks again!
David M.