[TriLUG] more spamassassin, procmail, sendmail

Turnpike Man turnpike420 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 16 17:42:57 EDT 2003

--- Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> That's a good reason not to call spamassassin directly but to use
> spamd and spamc.  The folks who created spamassassin realized
> they use a lot of memory so they created a daemon program called
> spamd (spam daemon).  This starts up at system startup and runs
> continuously.  Then, instead of calling spamassassin from procmail, you
> instead call spamc (spam client), which is a lightweight process
> that starts up quickly and doesn't use a lot of memory.  It connects
> to the spamd process to do it's scoring.  That way, you only have
> one spamassassin process in memory at a time.

?Thus use:

:0fw: spamassassin.lock
| /usr/bin/spamc

Instead of:

:0fw: spamassassin.lock
| /usr/bin/spamassassin

and I get the same result?  and why spamassassin.lock?? use or not to use...
which is correct?  I hope I'm asking good questions newbies or others are
learning from!!  I'm just trying to understand all the facets of this that I
can.

Thanks,
David M.

~~"Life is but a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves."~~