[TriLUG] more spamassassin, procmail, sendmail

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Thu Apr 17 10:53:09 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-17 at 08:50, Jeremy Portzer wrote:

> You definitely don't need spamassassin.lock (and the trailing colon)
> when calling spamc.  It won't *hurt* though.  I use this:
>
> :0fw
> | /usr/bin/spamc
>
> But you need to make sure the spamd daemon is running.  If you installed
> spamassassin by RPM, spamd is a normal service that can be controlled
> with "service", "chkconfig", or the GUI program that configures
> services.  (I think the service is named spamassassin, though, not
> spamd, which is a little confusing.)

Jeremy is completely correct about not needing the lock.  I normally
run it with -f flag to make sure I don't lose e-mail , but looking at
the manual, I see it now defaults to that and it can't be turned
off (oh well, so much for my comment :-).  From the manual:

 -f  Cause spamc to safe-failover if it can't connect to spamd -- what
     this means is that in case spamc fails to connect to spamd, it will
     not return with an exitcode set, it will instead dump the original
     message to stdout, allowing the message to be delivered, albeit
     unscanned for spam.  Without this flag, connection failures to
     spamd will cause message delivery failures.

     Even with this flag set however, if spamc connects successfully,
     and then encounters an error at a later stage of communication, it
     will still return an exitcode.

     This now defaults to on, and can't be turned off.  This flag is
     accepted though for backwards-compatibility.

So, basically, you don't need the lock.  There's no reason to worry
about pipes running in parallel.  If spamd is not running, spamc
will just return the e-mail unaltered.

Cheers,
Tanner
--