[TriLUG] IDE Drive/Channel Config

Ken Wahl ken at kenwahl.org
Thu Apr 17 12:36:20 EDT 2003

Hey all,

I'm trying to figure out how to best configure my hard disks and optical
drives.  I currently have 2 hard disks and a CD-ROM set up like so:

Primary Master: WD Caviar 40 gig =3D WinXP =3D hda
Primary Slave: Maxtor 40 gig =3D Red Hat 8 =3D hdb
Secondary Stand-Alone: ATAPI 40x CD-ROM =3D hdc

Now inject into the mix:

Sony 16X DVD-ROM (to replace CD-ROM)
Plextor PlexWriter CD-RW

What's the best configuration as far as what to put on what channel so
that everything will work in both OS's with the least amount of slowdown
to the hard disks?  If possible, I would like to be able to burn
straight from the DVD drive but if I can't then so be it.  If it helps
to answer the question, I do not do a lot of reading/writing from one
hard disk to the other.

I've searched this topic on the web but am getting conflicting answers.

Any advice or URL's where I may read further would be appreciated.

Oh yeah, I know somebody will say to get an IDE-RAID card.
That's next on my purchase list.  But for now I need to work with what I
have.

TIA

--
Ken Wahl  ken at kenwahl.org  http://www.kenwahl.org