[TriLUG] IDE Drive/Channel Config

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Thu Apr 17 12:54:52 EDT 2003

You will most likely want the drives as masters on separate channels,
but it depends on your usage.  The basic rules for IDE are these:

You can only access one device on each channel at any given time.  If
you are accessing both devices simultaneously (i.e. reading from one to
write to the other) you will see significant performance issues.
There's no significant penalty for being the slave device so long as
both devices aren't being accessed simultaneously. (no numbers to
support this, but that's my understanding)

I'm not sure if the master actually does any work when the slave device
is in use.  If that's the case it supports my feeling on using hard
drives as the masters since they generally support stuff like UDMA 4 and
ATA133, etc.

So, if you frequently burn from hda to hdb, you'd be better off moving
hdb to hdd.

You can figure out from there which would be your best set up.

Joseph