[TriLUG] IDE Drive/Channel Config

Ken Wahl ken at kenwahl.org
Thu Apr 17 21:11:52 EDT 2003

On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 02:15:37PM -0400, Mark Shuford wrote:

> The way I'd always looked at it, since only one IDE device can be active _per channel_ at one time, the source and target would be best on separate channels if they are to be copying device to device. That way one can read while the other writes with out waiting on each other to use the channel.
>
> But you've got more than two devices going. Just about any useful system does.
>
> And the IDE channel will be slowed to the slowest device. So this argues against the separate channel plan since it adversely affects faster devices.
>
> It's IDE; there's no real way to win.
>
> As I saw suggested: play with it and see what works (and works best) for your usage patterns.

Thanks to all who responded.  As usual, your collective cerebral
processing power hasn't disappointed me.  I always get the best advice
here.

Until I can get one of those 3Ware Escalade cards I think I'll go with
keeping the hard disks on one channel and the optical drives on another.
For the way I'll use it, this probably would be best.
--
Ken Wahl  ken at kenwahl.org  http://www.kenwahl.org