[TriLUG] SAMBA question

Andrew Perrin clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Fri Apr 18 09:29:00 EDT 2003

It's been a while, but as I remember with 98 you had to explicitly turn on
the ability to connect using IP address, since windows networking uses
NetBIOS Name as its default. You set that mapping using WINS (Samba will
play nicely as a WINS server if you ask it to) or, alternatively, using
the lmhosts file. There's a sample lmhosts in (from memory)
c:/windows/lmhosts.sam but you have to populate it manually and remove the
.sam extention.

In terms of browsing the network: is NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled? Is the
workgroup of the 98 machine the same as that in the samba server?

Hope these help-
Andy

clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu