[TriLUG] Sendmail problems

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Apr 21 07:59:05 EDT 2003

You're getting external mail.  So you are fine.  If you want another
test point then send me your email address and I'll drop you a note ala'
Road Runner.

The warning you are seeing simply means that someone attached to your
server - verified that it was a mail server and then detatched (they
didn't send any mail to you).

This can happen for a lot of reasons.  The most common seems to be an
anti-spoofing attempt by folks recieving mail *from* you. You send mail
to foo.com, your mail server takes the mail and makes a connection to
foo.com's mail server, foo.com's mail server holds open the connection
but doesn't accept the mail for delivery (yet), foo.com's mail server
does a simple connect back to your mail server to verify it, then it
accepts your mail

Check your mail logs and see if you are sending mail to some of the
servers that are verifying you.

Jon Carnes