[TriLUG] invisible directories...

Gregory Woodbury ggw at wolves.homeip.net
Mon Apr 21 17:01:00 EDT 2003

"It was written once upon a time (by Paul D. Boyle):"

> Jeff Painter wrote:
> > I'm not sure of what the vulnerability was, but I did determine which
> > files were replaced.
> >
> >  /bin/df
> >  /bin/ls
> >  /bin/netstat
> >  /bin/ping
> >
> > I'll keep looking...
>
> These look pretty typical for the binaries which get replaced during an
> attack.  The best thing to do is to wipe your disk clean (i.e. reformat
> it) and reinstall from virgin (i.e. CD-ROM) media.  I assume you have
> backups of your /home and other user data or system specific directories.
> If not, then pretty much your only option is to hand pick your way through
> your system specific directories looking for nasties which may have been
> left behind.  Hopefully, you won't miss anything.
>
> Good Luck,

Yes, good luck!

There is a chkrootkit program (chkroot.org?) that looks for the most
common trojans and backdoors.  Tripwire is also a good change verifier
but takes a good bit of setting up and administration.

rpm -Va is a quick and dirty first look.

--
Gregory G. "Wolfe" Woodbury   `-_-'         Owner/Admin: wolves.durham.nc.us
ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us      U