[TriLUG] invisible directories...

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Apr 21 17:10:04 EDT 2003

Sounds like the typical root kit.  I'm sure you will also find that "ps"
has been taken down, and probably a couple of your libraries.

I'm fond of installing a hidden (unmounted) directory which has copies
of all my valid binaries and libraries.  It helps you at times like
these.

I also run an intrusion script that checks against certain binaries (all
those on your list, plus a few more) and looks for any diffs on a ten
minutes basis.  Some root kits will take cron off-line, so the script
runs continuously (it just does the binary checks every 10 minutes).

Good Luck - Jon