[TriLUG] cdrecord & cpu usage

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue Apr 22 10:16:30 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 10:00, zzd wrote:
> When burning ISO images to cdrom, I find that I am totally unable to do
> anything else during the burn process, including move the mouse or
> change to alternate windows. I like to use Eclipt which is a good GUI
> front end to cdrecord, and when I use the top command, it shows
> cdrecord at over 40% cpu.
>
> So, how do I (re)nice the cdrecord command to use less CPU, so that I am
> at least able to read/write emails while at the same time, burning a
> CDROM? I tried "nice --adjustment=10", but this did me no good. The
> whole nice thing is a bit confusing. Any help/direction appreciated.

What type/speed processor do you have?

As others have pointed out, CD burning with IDE devices does require a
lot of CPU time, and you must allow it to use this time or you'll get
coasters.  The only way to permanently solve this is to use SCSI hard
drives and CD burners.  But a faster CPU will lessen the impact.

You can also try lowering the speed at which you're recording the CDs.

--Jeremy

--
| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |