[TriLUG] invisible directories...

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Apr 22 14:24:12 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 11:20, Turnpike Man wrote:

> So besides all the scripts needed to compare binaries every 10 minutes
> (something I'm still clueless of how to do)...

Tripwire will do this for you, but before that came along I ran
something like the following script - every 10 minutes on my external
boxes.

====== file_chks ======
#! /bin/bash
# check run on the base files (periodically)
#
if [ ! -s /etc/chk ];
  then
    echo First time run... Creating /etc/chk and storing base files
    mkdir /etc/chk
    chmod o-wrx /etc/chk
    cp /bin/df        /etc/chk/1.chk
    cp /bin/find      /etc/chk/2.chk
    cp /bin/ls        /etc/chk/3.chk
    cp /bin/netstat   /etc/chk/4.chk
    cp /bin/ping      /etc/chk/5.chk
    cp /bin/ps        /etc/chk/6.chk
    cp /usr/bin/du    /etc/chk/7.chk
    cp /usr/sbin/lsof /etc/chk/8.chk
    # cp /etc/passwd    /etc/chk/p.chk
    # cp /etc/group     /etc/chk/g.chk
fi

# compare the current files with the stored base files
diff /bin/df        /etc/chk/1.chk
diff /bin/find      /etc/chk/2.chk
diff /bin/ls        /etc/chk/3.chk
diff /bin/netstat   /etc/chk/4.chk
diff /bin/ping      /etc/chk/5.chk
diff /bin/ps        /etc/chk/6.chk
diff /usr/bin/du    /etc/chk/7.chk
diff /usr/sbin/lsof /etc/chk/8.chk
# diff /etc/password  /etc/chk/p.chk
# diff /etc/group     /etc/chk/g.chk

======

I used to monitor /etc/password and /etc/group (and /etc/shadow) on my
external boxes as well.  I always knew when one of my admins changed a
password or added a user.

BTW: I typed this one in from memory as I now use tripwire.

Take care - Jon Carnes