[TriLUG] RHCE and RHCT

Glenn Meyer me at glennmeyer.com
Tue Apr 22 16:22:12 EDT 2003

I have to agree.  I took both the rh133 and rh253 since the company was
paying for it.  However, I have a little different thought about the
classes that may or may not fit with your style.  Before I go into a
class, I go through at least one of the 1000 page books on the subject -
hands on with hardware - as if it's up to me to learn it on my own.
Then I go to the class well informed and can ask intelligent questions
to fill in the holes in my self study.  This is why...

Over the years, I have taken the two Red Hat classes and a bunch of
Microsoft classes.  I have found that with only one or two exceptions,
the instructors basically read to the class out of the curriculum and
added a little bit of their own experience - sometimes very little -
often because they had very little or no real life experience.  I have
been in several classes where the instructors couldn't get the labs to
work, couldn't make the examples work, couldn't answer questions, etc.
To me, that is in-excusable.  They are supposed to be the pro - at least
that's what $2500/week says to me.  I have asked for refunds more than once.

I learned early on that I had to take control of the learning process
and not depend on the class to teach me, but to only polish what I
already knew.

If I were going to take the exam now, I would set up two boxes with Red
Hat 9.0 (the exam will be geared to the current version as far as paths,
etc.), buy two good books, and work only with Red Hat (to not confuse
yourself with other distros).  Then take the exam - or - If you are
wanting to take a class, go with self study and then just the
accelerated class and exam.

Sorry for the sermon/rant - guess one of my pet gripes is spending $2500
to have someone with no experience read to me from a test that they
don't understand.