[TriLUG] Cheap Dell Server

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Tue Apr 22 21:38:40 EDT 2003

Kevin Flanagan wrote:
> I wouldn't call that a server, it's IDE, no RAID, no mention of if you
> can get a redundant power supply.

Whoooaaaa!  Back up the enterprise-mindset truck!

Not all "servers" are deployed in server farms with dedicated
maintenance staff and have 24x7 uptime requirements.

This kind of server is fine for small office needs - which is
why we bought one.  We've purchased small Dell servers in
the past and they run reliably, the chassis provides easy access
and Dell's support is responsive.  If you expected more
for $400, then you're just being silly :>

Oh yeah -- and they are available with Red Hat pre-installed!

--
Chris Merrill
cmerrill at nc.rr.com