[TriLUG] Cheap Dell Server

Ken Mink kmtrilug at nc.rr.com
Wed Apr 23 10:21:59 EDT 2003

I was going to stay out of this one, but I can't help myself.

A server serves. An enterprise server serves a lot of people and needs
the hardware to do that. At a small company, a server serves a small
number of people and needs less hardware to do it.

Case in point. At my last job, our email server(sendmail, pop, imap) was
an old laptop that no one wanted. We served mail for about 20 people
from a P200 Thinkpad. It was a server. It even had a built in UPS and
took up damn little rack space. It chugged along for 2 years. Then the
company got bought.

Ken