[TriLUG] Postfix gurus?

Michael Alan Dorman mdorman at debian.org
Wed Apr 23 14:16:36 EDT 2003

Jason Tower <jason at cerient.net> writes:
> what you describe should be quite simple - set the mydestination
> parameter to your domain name and the relayhost parameter to the IP
> address of your gateway system.  the postfix config file
> (/etc/postfix/main.cf on redhat) is very well documented, i'd
> suggest taking a look at that as it may answer your questions.

The only thing I would add is that most distributed main.cf files are
very, perhaps excessively, verbose---they include just about every
available config parameter, even though it's just reiterating the
default, plus commentary, etc.

My first move with such a postfix config is to squirrel away a copy of
that file (often with RCS), then use 'postconf -n' to get a list of
the config parameters that differ from their defaults---generally a
*very* short list, maybe five or six lines on simple configs.  Much
easier to grasp.

I run a multi-server, multi-domain anti-spam service using content
filters and ldap lookups for relay acceptance and next-hop transports
and other such silliness and my main.cf runs to 22 lines sans
comments.

Mike
--
thrills become as cheap as gas, and gas as cheap as thrills -- Blue Oyster Cult