[TriLUG] Small Network User Management

Kevin Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Wed Apr 23 13:37:44 EDT 2003

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 02:08:16PM -0400, Tarus Balog spoke thusly:
> Okay, I am still torn between Debian and Mandrake, but I appreciate the
> advice on both sides. Mandrake's security package may be what makes the
> decision for me.

I'm still hurt that Red Hat Enterprise Linux didn't even enter into
the equation. It's a 7.x base with a 5-year lifespan. Hell, you won't
even have to learn anything new.

But price might be the deciding factor. Contact me off list if you're
not completely sold on debian/Mandrake.

Anyway, I think I owe you lunch or something, too. :)

> But I have another question. I want to set up a way to manage a group of
> users on a small group of about ten machines. I want a common home
> directory (nfs or smbfs), username and password.

If you combine NIS and Samba it's pretty easy. NIS for the main auth
bits, and a Samba PDC.

If you want secure authentication, use Kerberos with all of the above.

--
--         Kevin Sonney         --