[TriLUG] From the same "Penguin Shell" newsletter concerning Red Hat 9, the "other side of the coin"

Mark Shuford davemarcus at pobox.com
Thu Apr 24 21:42:07 EDT 2003

I've used a passel of 'em. The description of SlackWare as geek-oriented is pretty much on the mark. If you just want to geek around get SlackWare. You'll learn it there --- but it's more BSD oriented than the current mainstream amalgam of BSD and ATT which you'll see with the others... particularly RH.

If you're going beyond that it's much harder. Red Hat peed me off the fist time I used it 6.something -- 7.something -- who knows, who cares. Quickly back to SlackWare. Then it seemed that RH was what the companies I was working for wanted to be interested in... so back to RH.

I really like SuSE but it doesn't seem to get the mainstream in the US.

And, yes, I do feel that RH has the M$ feel for the Linux world. Glitz; do-it-my-way; oh, did we leave that out of our corporate-oriented distribution?; blah... Marketing Dept crud..

I've already thrown a couple of ideas out so I'll not repeat them...

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 02:54:46 -0400