[TriLUG] Tabe Backup Software

Chris Hedemark chrish at trilug.org
Fri Apr 25 09:38:30 EDT 2003

On Friday, April 25, 2003, at 09:12 AM, Meyer, David R wrote:

> I need to step up now and say that I am not trying to pick fights, etc.

David, I never thought you were picking a fight.  I hope you didn't
think that of me (you were replying to me).  I'm a bit opinionated,
sure.  But if I pick a fight with you, you'll know it. ;-)

Yes, I'm feeling a bit raw right now hot off the heels of a tape backup
project where we evaluated some of the big ones (Veritas NBU, Legato
NW, SyncSort BE, and just for fun BRU).  ARCserve was suggested to us
but too late in the game to be considered (none of our preferred
vendors were ARCserve partners)

It was a long hard decision.  None of the solutions were particularly
good.  All of them were particularly bad in some areas.  This was one
of the worst product evals I have ever been involved in because (1)the
price of the products far exceeds the value of what you're getting and
(2)several of these products were inherently broken in major ways and
yet they still had no problem selling them as-is.

For the record, the thing that broke the Veritas deal for us (backing
up files on Linux that are >2GB in size was broken) has been fixed this
month, but it was *after* we made our proposal to management to buy
Legato.  For various reasons I would have preferred to sip the Veritas
poison if it weren't for that bug.  Their apathetic response to this
problem didn't exactly win us over and gave us great pause for concern
of how future major bugs would be handled (if at all).