[TriLUG] I can't believe reputable companies still do this

Michael Thompson thompson at easternrad.com
Fri Apr 25 11:36:39 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-04-25 at 10:07, Meyer, David R wrote:
> What surprises me is that Microsoft makes it possible to write web pages
> that are only viewable by Internet Explorer.

Actually, JavaScript (a Netscape invention??, IIRC) made it possible to
write web pages that are only viewable by whatever browser the designer
chooses long ago.  Basically you can 'sense' the clients browser and
fork to different pages/content based on what the client is using.  (Of
course this does not mean the the TW site is using Javascript and not
some stupid M$ "dot not" or whatever, but it is possible by means not
M$.)

Of course using this procedure to lock out all but one browser is just
laziness or downright stupidity on the part of the designer, who should
be beaten with a 50 lb FrontPage manual.

This could very easily be made to work *against* M$ Internet Exploiter
as well, although I wouldn't want to stoop to that level, or would I?
>:}

--mwt