[TriLUG] Where can I find a current server for a Red Hat 7.1 box??

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Fri Apr 25 14:32:07 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-04-25 at 14:20, Jon Carnes wrote:
> Matt,
>
> You can find the updates at any good mirror (ftp-linux.cc.gatech.edu).
> Download the updates into a directory or burn then to a CD - be sure to
> get rid of any duplicates.  Next run "rpm -F *" from that directory or
> CD. Works like a charm.

Be careful of glibc and other updates that are compiled for multiple
architectures though.  (Maybe that's what you meant by get rid of any
duplicates.)  On Red Hat Linux 9, for example, if you install the glibc
i386 update on a system that previously had i686 installed, your system
will be hosed.  This is because the i386 glibc does not support the NPTL
system that's used in RHL 9.

I don't think there's a similar problem in RHL 7.1, but you still want
to have the architecture-specific versions if you have an
i686-compatible processor (which includes Athlons).

--Jeremy

--
| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |