[TriLUG] Speaking of ntp: that would be a great service for Trilug to provide.

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Apr 29 11:19:38 EDT 2003

Don't have a cow man!  To me trilug is a trusted source.  I trust the
folks running the services to do a good job and in setting up NTP so
that it works great.

As an example, I had no idea there were tier 1 or 2 or even 3 ntp
servers.  I think it's cool, but really, do you think every TriLUG
member wants to do a few hours of research in setting up their ntp
service - or do you think we might want to just point to a trusted
source and be done with it?

Also, wouldn't it be of more benefit to the NTP network structure if the
load from all us individual users were off loaded to a local server?

I'm sure that Trilug uses more than one Tier 2 source in syncing their
clocks, and so is fairly accurate, probably to within a tenth of a
second.  Well that is way more accuracy than I need.

What I need most of all is easy setup of my NTP service - a single
server that I can simply depend upon to give me reasonably accurate
local time.

Thanks - Jon