[TriLUG] OT: restoring Mac OS X from a tar?

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 30 16:00:33 EDT 2003

Has anyone tried to restore a home directory from a tar file with Mac OS X?
If I have my stories right this will not work with iTunes4 - music must be
reimported and repurchsed.  But what about mail, iPhotos, etc?  Has anyone
actually tried this?

I now have my Apple connecting to my RH 8.0 box and I can tar up a file, but
I'm scared to death to try and untar over anything in my home directory
(what I'm really worried about is my e-mail).

What I'd like to do is totally reformat my drive to get rid of my disk-hog
OS 9 and reformat the entire disk as OS X.  But I'd also like to restore my
/Users directory after making that change.

Greg