[TriLUG] Re: [Hardcider] OT: restoring Mac OS X from a tar?

Benjamin Reed ranger at befunk.com
Wed Apr 30 16:09:56 EDT 2003

Greg Brown wrote:

> Has anyone tried to restore a home directory from a tar file with Mac OS X?
> If I have my stories right this will not work with iTunes4 - music must be
> reimported and repurchsed.  But what about mail, iPhotos, etc?  Has anyone
> actually tried this?
>
> I now have my Apple connecting to my RH 8.0 box and I can tar up a file, but
> I'm scared to death to try and untar over anything in my home directory
> (what I'm really worried about is my e-mail).
>
> What I'd like to do is totally reformat my drive to get rid of my disk-hog
> OS 9 and reformat the entire disk as OS X.  But I'd also like to restore my
> /Users directory after making that change.

You will probably run into problems here or there from things in your
home directory that have a resource fork.

I would recommend using hfstar or hfspax (or something similar that
preserves both forks of mac files).

I've done backups without ill effects, though I haven't done it recently.

--
Benjamin Reed a.k.a. Ranger Rick -- http://ranger.befunk.com/
"Political satire became obsolete when Henry Kissinger was awarded