[TriLUG] OT: legacy 16bit DOS programs on Win2k

Michael Thompson thompson at easternrad.com
Thu May 1 08:42:39 EDT 2003

Its been so long since I've done this that I'm not sure exactly what
'widget' was enabled/tweaked, but I once had the same problem with an
NT3 terminal server (Citrix) and a hungry DOS app.  Basically, the first
user to attach to the server ran fine, everyone else after had horrible
speed issues.  Characters literally took 30 seconds each to appear.
What I eventually did was edit the .PIF file.  There was a setting in
the .PIF editor that allocated a percentage of processor time, which
IIRC, was default 100%.  It took some experimentation, too much was bad,
but too little was also bad.  It was not perfect after, but everyone was
able to use the dos app until we got our gui upgrade, even though the
vendor told me I was wasting my time.

I've just checked our NT4 server and can not find a pif editor, aside
from right-click-properties on a link to a batch file, but maybe this
can help your googling...

Also IIRC, wowexec.exe is automatically run on NT/2000 machines to
translate ??16 bit apps?? and is not really user configurable.

Wow, I've just realized how much I have forgotten about NT.  Oh
well....  :)

--mike