[TriLUG] Red Hat 9 and Samsung Monitor

Heath Holcomb bluetea at nc.rr.com
Fri May 2 16:04:28 EDT 2003

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 03:22:06PM -0400, Mike wrote:
> Sigh.  Actually I'm trying to increase my vertical refresh rate from 85 Hz to
> 100 Hz.  I edited /etc/X11/XF86Config and changed VertRefresh  50.0 - 160.0
> to VertRefresh  100.0.  When I rebooted the sytem complained and I managed to
> reset the monitor back to what it was.

I don't claim to be an XFree86 expert, but I don't believe there is any
way to directly specifiy a refresh rate in your XF86Config file. At least,
I don't know of a way in XFree86 4.x.

You need to set the maximum vert and horizontal refresh rate that your
monitor can support (from the monitor manual) and XFree will drive the
monitor at the fastest refresh rate it can support. This is not directly
related to your vert refresh settting. Indeed, I'm sure your monitor can do
a vert refresh faster than 100 Hz.

Good luck,

Heath

--
Heath Holcomb
bluetea at nc.rr.com
GPG Fingerprint 6A2A D132 1D3C A1F2 E0C8  6AC2 7E55 FCCF 433F F232