[TriLUG] rh-9.0 on toshiba tecra 8100 w/ docking station and avocent switch view - no mouse!!!

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sun May 4 18:27:30 EDT 2003

Open up a Terminal (under System Tools), and type in mouseconfig.
Use tab to move around, space or enter to select options.

To restart console Mouse services: service gpm restart

For a good overview of using/setting up a mouse for X look at:
  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/README.mouse

=====

Here is the first Google hit I got when I typed your problem in.  Looks
promising... Hope it helps - Jon Carnes

http://linux.toshiba-dme.co.jp/linux/eng/faq2/xconfig/02482.htm

[tlinux-users:02482]
Tecra 8100 xf86 mouse config
07/02/2002

i've got a toshiba tecra 8100, dual boot to xp and lycoris. i dock it at
work and at home, but i use it often on the road without a docking
station.

i installed at work with the docking station. my logitech wheel mouse
optical (connected through the docking station via ps/2 port) was
detected and works prefectly fine.

the problem occurred when when i tried to login to lycoris last night
without the docking station. the little stick-pointer on the keyboard
was all crazy, kept going to the bottom left corner and bringing up
menus and i had to hard-reset to get out.

this morning when i got into work i tried to login without the docking
station, but i also attached the mouse into the ps/2 port directly on
the laptop. that worked perfectly fine, as i assumed it would.

i suppose i could keep a mouse with me everywhere i go, but i really
don't want to have to do that. is there something i can do so that it
will use a particular driver depending on whether a mouse is connected
to the ps/2 port?

i read somewhere that setting the bios to use both ps/2 and the internal
mouse simultaneously should take care of the problem. i haven't tried,
but i really don't want to either becuase that gives xp problems when i
try to use the scroll wheel.

any help would be GREATLY appreciated. i'm willing to tinker too, so
even if you just have suggestions and aren't really sure i'll probably
give it a try.

here's what my xf86config looks like at the moment:

------------------------
 Section "InputDevice"
 Driver "mouse"
 Identifier "mouse"
 Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
 Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
 Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
 EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
 Driver "mouse"
 Identifier "usbmice"
 Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
 Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
 Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
 EndSection
 ------------------------

[tlinux-users:02483]

07/04/2002

I had this exact problem and spent enormous amount of trial-and-errors.
 Looks like it has something to do with the electrical signals or
 something. Try to install gpm and let it repeat the mouse events into X
 and change

Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"

Option "Protocol" /dev/gpmdata

I don't understand why this works but I am happy now.

I use Xfree86 X server from 4.1.0