[TriLUG] NC spam laws?

Gregory Woodbury ggw at wolves.homeip.net
Mon May 5 13:51:16 EDT 2003

"It was written once upon a time (by Brandon L. Newport):"

> Having to help with some spam cases in the past.  I don’t think the rules
> have changed yet.  You want to do it through small claims court because it
> only costs you roughly $25 (in most states) however in this state I believe
> the maximum damages that you can recover is $25...so you have broken even
> :(.  I several states like Washington it is up to $500 for the individual or
> $1000 for a company, that is per email (incident).  So if you lived there
> you would have to work it out with our ISP and both go after the spammer.  I
> don’t think the penalties are enough in this state to worthy going after a
> spammer.
>
> I wish it was, cause my wife owns a hosting company and let me tell you we
> would definitely be going after some of these people :).  Spam is probably
> 75% of what our customers get.  Most of it is because their email addresses
> are located on their web pages.  We have figured out that many of the
> spammers are now using google searches to search for email address.  The bad
> guys always find a way to make something good into something bad :).
>
> -brandon

The limit in Small Claims is something like $2500 or so, check the NC
Courts web site or the County web site (www.co.durham.nc.us) for more
information.

--
Gregory G. "Wolfe" Woodbury   `-_-'         Owner/Admin: wolves.durham.nc.us
ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us      U