[TriLUG] gFTP

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue May 6 15:25:36 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-05-06 at 15:04, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-05-06 at 14:44, Jim Ray wrote:
> > how come every ftp site i try won't list files?
>

> You might need to set your ftp mode to passive.  Generally problems
> like this are caused by firewalls getting in the way.  When you ask
> the server to send you a list of the files back, it tries to
> open a connection to your machine.  A firewall will get in the way
> of that, so by specifying passive mode, the server knows that it
> doesn't have to open that connection, but instead your side will
> open the connection and it will use that.

Or you can modify your firewall to allow active connections.  For
example, the the ip_conntrack_ftp kernel module, part of the Netfilter
suite in Linux 2.4, can handle active FTP connections.  We use this on
the TriLUG servers in conjunction with the "Shorewall" firewall script,
which makes setting up iptables more straightforward.

If you just need to switch to passive mode, you might want to try the
command-line "ncftp" client.  It will switch to passive automatically if
there's a problem with active mode.

HTH,
Jeremy

--