[TriLUG] Nominee Bio

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Wed May 7 17:07:46 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-05-07 at 11:26, TriLUG Steering Committee wrote:
> Those of you running, you may wish to post a brief biography or other
> description of why you'd like to be on the Steering Committee.

Well, I just noticed my bio from last year is still up at
http://www.trilug.org/elections/sc_nominees.html#TannerL_Bio
so you can look at that if you want.  Of course, I'm generally lazy,
so I'll give you a new one here. :-)

Bio of Tanner Lovelace

I first became interested in Linux in the summer of 1994 when a friend
mentioned it to me. I started with Slackware on floppy disk and briefly
tried out Ygdrassil before settling on Redhat. I used Redhat until 1999
when I switched to Mandrake. I am married (7.5 years now) and have a 22
month old son. I got my M.S. degree in computer science at Johns Hopkins
University and now work as a C++ network programmer at Oculan. I've been
involved with the LUG for almost a year now, but I did go to the very
first LUG meeting ever at the ILS department at UNC. My experience with
leadership includes being on the current TriLUG steering committee this
past year, holding the post of President of the Computer Science
Students Association at UNC (1999-2000), being on the Board of
Directors of the NC Eastern Region Odyssey of the Mind 1998-present, the
NC State Board of Directors of Odyssey of the Mind (1998-2002), the
Northern Virginia Odyssey of the Mind Board of Directors (1996-1998). In
addition, I have run the mailing list for the Society of Creative
Anachronism Kingdom of Atlantia since 1994.

My goals last year were to "explore new ways for the LUG to make its
resources available to LUG members (i.e. the mail server, shell server,
ftp mirrors, etc..) and to search for more LUG sponsorship."  I feel
we have made an excellent start on that but that more still needs
to be done.  Over this past year we have implemented a single-sign
on that has allowed us to provide the membership with an imap server,
an authenticated smtp server, an ldap server, and more shell services.
In addition, we have been more proactive in soliciting money and as
a result our bank account is solidly in the black.  Other goals from
last year were to "solicit more feedback from the membership about what
kind of subjects they'd like to see for the monthly talks."  I hope
that the talks we've had during the past year reflect well on that
goal and I look forward to helping do more of the same this coming year.

My goals for the upcoming year will be to continue exploring new
ways for the LUG to make it's resources available to members,
explore new ways for the LUG to execute its primary mission of
promoting Linux, search for still more sponsorship, and work on
presenting our members with good solid presentations, classes,
and installfests.

The LUG will start this next year in a good position.  In addition
to all of the above, we're also the most active user group in the
Triangle area.  I would like to help keep us at that level, which
is why I would like to continue serving on the TriLUG Steering
Committee.

Sincerely,
Tanner Lovelace
--