[TriLUG] Jeremy Portzer's "bio"

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed May 7 17:23:07 EDT 2003

I'm Jeremy Portzer. I've been a member of TriLUG since the beginning,
with our first meeting in a crowded basement at UNC. I lurked for a
while, but have become more involved in the past couple of years. I was
elected to the steering committee last May and have been serving as the
Treasurer since then.

I've used Linux since the days when Slackware was popular; I think I
first installed it about 1995. I've run various Linux servers ever
since, and I use Linux 100% on my workstations. My other area of
technical "expertise" is in web application programming and web
servers.   I've obtained the lower level Red Hat certification (RHCT)
and am currently preparing for my RHCE.  I'm lucky enough to have a job
where I use Linux all day long!

Over the past year at TriLUG, I've been involved in a number of
activities.  Besides helping out on the TriLUG web site, assisting in
organizing our monthly meetings and other steering committee duties, I
organized our March installfest at Durham Tech.  I've attended and tried
to help out at almost every TriLUG event, such as the hamfest and Lulu
tables.  I also have helped Tanner and our other volunteers with the
system administration of our cluster, and implemented an online ledger
so all steering committee members can keep track of the checking
account.  As the other current SC members will attest, I send lots of
email to the steering mailing list. :-)

Last year in my election "bio" I said that my goals for TriLUG included
working with the SC to continue our current emphasis on education.  I've
tried to do so, but I think we can do even better.  This past winter we
had three special classes (sendmail, kernel, and RPM building) that were
successful, yet we've had trouble finding a permanent location for these
classes.  If re-elected, I plan to re-double my efforts to find a
permanent location so we can make our classes more regular.  I'd also
like to work with the system administrator to further streamline and
document our TriLUG member services,[*] which hopefully can teach people
about Linux while providing useful services at the same time.   I'd also
like to help get more members involved in the maintenance of our
cluster, so we can get even more done.

As Tanner said in his bio, we are one of the more active LUGs in the
area and are starting this next year off in a good position.  I'd like
to help keep it that way, and I hope you'll consider re-electing me.

Respectfully,

Jeremy Portzer

[*] A big thanks to Inflow (www.inflow.com) for providing the rack space
and bandwidth that makes many of our member services possible.
--
| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |