[TriLUG] passing parameters to programs via launcher in gnome and samba

Jim Ray jim at neuse.net
Thu May 8 09:26:12 EDT 2003

is there a way to pass parameters to vncviewer so i don't have to type
in an ip?

i'm using the launcher in gnome and have /usr/bin/vncviewer as the
command.  i tried /usr/bin/vncviewer 192.168.0.34 to no avail and was
thinking about /usr/bin/vncviewer <192.168.0.34> or something along
those lines.

i tried looking in help yet had a big blank screen for the searchable
index.  maybe i need to install more stuff to get more help.  i had only
used the first 3 cds of rh-9.0.

i already discovered that the personal workstation option due to my 6 gb
hd leaves out the ability to compile a program.  i wanted to install my
first tarball? last night and had downloaded samba-latest.tar.gz.  it
puked when trying to find the compiler.

me thinks i need to put back in the 40 gb drive, erase all those
winblows programs that have been the norm for many years, and do a full
install.

the rpm from samba.org compiled for rh-8.0 seemed to work ok.  however,
i haven't been able to see a winblows share and need to do so as step 1
in my self-imposed migration plan from winblows to linux.  it doesn't
make sense to edit samba.conf for the client.  i got some error about
/mnt/ntshare not defined or something like that.

any help gratefully appreciated.  trilug rules.
--
Regards,

Jim Ray, Network Engineer
Neuse River Network, Inc.