[TriLUG] OT: authenticated CD

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Fri May 9 10:37:48 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-09 at 10:28, Jon Carnes wrote:
> The best you can do is store the data in some proprietary format and
> force them to read/access all the documentation via some application
> (like acrobat read).

I have a CD like that, where everything is in PDFs protected by some
strange Acrobat stuff.  I can't read them with xpdf but it works with
the Linux Acrobat Reader from Adobe.  This same CD has a Windows program
that can only be run with started from Acrobat Reader -- this is so it's
protected by the same mechanism.

This CD just asks for a product key -- it doesn't involve network-based
authentication -- but you might take a look on what options the
full-blown Acrobat software gives you.  I think unfortunately that the
Acrobat [writer] software is only available for Windows.

--Jeremy

--
| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |