[TriLUG] [OT] propane BBQs by my Window

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Fri May 9 13:43:12 EDT 2003

On Friday 09 May 2003 12:00 pm, Justin Johnson wrote:
> In this instance, the question is about SSH, which is
> open source,

As far as I know, SSH is a proprietary solution. OpenSSH, on the other hand,
is an OpenSource solution. And Windows is not OpenSource. And typing "buy
sshd for windows" on google gives a good answer (I guess, as I don't do
Windows) --> http://www.foxitsoftware.com/wac/server_intro.asp

For myself, my eyes flip everytime I see here a post about Windows in this
list. I guess by now most of the people in the list are grown up enough and
can see that mixing Windows and Linux is a sure way to build angriness in
some people.

Windows has its place. Linux has its place.

What happens when somebody gives a presentation at TriLUG with a Windows
laptop? Wooing, finger-pointing, general laughter, shouts of "use a real OS!"
and all this stuff. That's my experience in the last 2+ years at TriLUG
meetings.

The post on SSHD is about helping someone with a Windows problem. Trying to
get the "it also is about Open source if you squeeze your eyes"
kind-of-reasoning is just trying to be the devil's advocate.

Well, for a Windows problem, Windows list. Or Windows newsgroup. Or Windows
WebBoard. Or general-software-and-or-OS list|newsgroup|website. Or regular
off-the-shelf-payware software.

With this "BBQ post" I want to start a discussion about what is or is not this
list. You want Windows stuff be on the list, because someone in the list sure
groks Windows? Fine. But not with me. I do not think it's appropriate. At
all.

Have you ever tried to ask a Linux question on a Windows list? You haven't?
Why? Exactly. You know that it doesn't belong there. You know that you will
be scorned, flammed and called names. At least. Because "Linux is the enemy".

Examine yourselves, do not try to find "the opensource trail" in
unappropriated questions, because OpenSource is everywhere: Windows use(d)
the TCP/IP stack from BSD, so we could argue that anything related to Windows
is fair game, as Windows uses OpenSource code.

Do not be the devil's advocate in such a blatant way. If the devil wants an
advocate, let Uncle Bill foot the bill for an expensive attorney.

I switched to Linux because I do not like the Windows way, its philosophy,
it's abusive licenses... The last thing I expect while on a Linux group is
Windows discussion.

In short: I guess we need to enhance the point 3.4 on
http://www.trilug.org/faq/TriLUG-faq-3.html#ss3.4

Now, you can flame me, call me names (again) and generally enjoy your Friday.

Salut,
Sinner
--
Stallman Reads my Tutorials! http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/Steel/rms.html
Running on Mandrake Linux 9.0 - Kernel  2.4.19smp  Linux User # 89976