[TriLUG] stuck on samba install

Jim Ray jim at neuse.net
Sat May 10 06:14:22 EDT 2003

I just tried to install samba the other day and failed.  I had loaded the personal desktop flavor of rh-9.0 that apparently did not include samba.  At first, I tried to download/install the tar ball to no avail ( no C compiler had been installed, or I didn't know how to  use it).  Then, I tried the rpm.  Installation routine occurred.  Samba didn't work.

Maybe you're on to something about up2date and out of sync.

Here's the method I used to get it going with absolutely no hassle *or* profanity:

Re-load your machine fresh with the samba option checked (as well as anything else).  It looks like rh-9.0 is a get it right the first time or rip up and re-try deal.

Now, I am admittedly ignorant on rh-8.0 and 9.0; nonetheless, samba is working like a charm for me and makes all those attempts at using linux since rh-4.2 most worthwhile.

Maybe up2date modifies the kernel in some special way to include samba services (woops, I mean deamons).

Reinstall.  It takes less time to get it working than futzing around with tar balls and rpms.

Rh has done a great job with the installation process and up2date.  Use it.