[TriLUG] dhcp relay question

Ryan Leathers ryan.leathers at globalknowledge.com
Tue May 13 12:03:11 EDT 2003

Using Linux (or some other host) may not be the right choice.

Most routers today can serve DHCP directly.  Apart from the obvious
benefit of using what's already there... there may be a compelling
requirement for dynamic DNS or WINS. In such circumstances folks have
often been sticking with DHCP forwarding rather than getting leases
directly from the router or from a PC host running a dhcpd.

In the past couple of years it has become more common for routers with
DHCP Server functionality to share the bindings database with a host
somewhere on the network.  This neat trick gives you local address
leases (in case you are at a branch office for example) and also keeps
the lease information synchronized with the network services that need
it like dynDNS and WINS.

On a Cisco router this is accomplished with the command:
Router(config)# ip dhcp database url

Perhaps there is a dhcpd available for Linux that can do the same
thing.  In any case, determine whether or not you need to synchronize
the bindings database before getting too far into an implementation.

Ryan