[TriLUG] RevolutionOS Trailer

Chris Rasch crasch at openknowledge.org
Sat May 17 23:35:16 EDT 2003

Mark Shuford wrote:

>Uhh... this is about a movie, not about Linux.
>
>So it's OFF TOPIC. Please stop!!!
>
>... and along the same lines of the reasoning that says if it contains the words windows a posting is off topic, just adding the word Linux to a post about movies doesn't make it about Linux.
>
>(or is the movie about Linux. maybe you should have said so if that is the case...)

Um, the title "Revolution OS" and the fact that it's being screened by
trilug indicate to me that it probably has something to do with Linux,
as a brief google search would confirm:

REVOLUTION OS tells the inside story of the hackers who rebelled against
the proprietary software model and Microsoft to create GNU/Linux and the
Open Source movement.

On June 1, 2001, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer said "Linux is a cancer
that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it
touches."

Microsoft fears GNU/Linux, and rightly so. GNU/Linux and the Open Source
& Free Software movements arguably represent the greatest threat to
Microsoft's way of life. Shot in cinemascope on 35mm film in Silicon
Valley, REVOLUTION OS tracks down the key movers and shakers behind
Linux, and finds out how and why Linux became such a potent threat.

REVOLUTION OS features interviews with Linus Torvalds, Richard Stallman,
Bruce Perens, Eric Raymond, Brian Behlendorf, Michael Tiemann, Larry
Augustin, Frank Hecker, and Rob Malda. To view the trailer or the first
eight minutes go to the *ifilm*
<http://www.ifilm.com/ifilm/product/film_multimedia/0,4470,2419320,00.html>
website for REVOLUTION OS.

Companies such as Hewlett-Packard, IBM, Ogilvy & Mather, OSDN, and
Dreamworks Animation have rented REVOLUTON OS for private theatrical
screenings. It has also screened in numerous film festivals including
South By Southwest Film Festival, the Atlanta Film & Video Festival,
Boston Film Festival, and Denver International Film Festival. REVOLUTION
OS won Best Documentary at both the Savannah Film & Video Festival and
the Kudzu Film Festival.

REVOLUTION OS is available in the 35 mm motion picture format and runs
85 minutes.

©Copyright 2003 Wonderview Productions, LLC All Rights Reserved