[TriLUG] Re: Debian installation.

Bill Gooding bgood210 at yahoo.com
Thu May 22 14:45:48 EDT 2003

Hi,

Following Mike's suggestion, I tried to use Knoppix to install Debian.
Mike's comments were basically correct about Knoppix, but there are
some things that more experienced users should know.  I decided
against using it, but I did want to share my experiences using it with
the group.  So this is not a question it is yet another unsolicited
column.

First a minor note, when downloading Knoppix you should probably use a
German site.  I tried some of the American sites and they were
unreliable or slow.  Knoppix is packaged as an iso file so just burn
it to CD using your favorite burner.  Some people have problems with
iso files, so a good reference for that is
http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/.  It tells how to burn iso images
properly under unix, windows, and mac.

Knoppix is a version of unix that is actually intended to be run on a
CD (without using your harddrive).  It seems to be designed to
demonstate the capacities of Linux to people who only run Microsoft.
It also looks like the demo was designed for educational purposes
(selling computers to schools).  It is a good marketing tool.  People
can see how Linux works without installing it on their harddrive.  It
autodetects everything very well at least for me (soundcard, video
card, monitor).  By the way, I am not sure whether it literally
autodetects your monitor (last Redhat install I made, you simply
choose your monitor from a list, and Redhat does have the best Linux
install that I have seen), they may just make good/conservative
assumptions about sync frequencies (properties of the monitor you need
to do graphics).  I am sure that it also allows you to use windows
partitions that are currently on your drive.  I didn't use this part
since I don't have a windows partition so I can't comment on it.  But
I am pretty sure it would work because that is consistent with my
interpretation of the cd's purpose.

Once you are happy with Linux and decide to install it, the
installation process is fairly simple.  Just login as root and type
knx-hdinstall.  All you really have to tell it is which partition will
be the root partition (/) and tell it if you want swap.  It uses the
debian woody install process to do this.  It looks like they wrote a
tcl/tk approach because on the root window that you executed the
knx-hdinstall command you can see the same messages you get with a
Debian install.  The harddrive partitioning is the only question they
ask you.  It makes relatively intelligent default decisions for all
other questions.  The installation worked for me, I was able to get
Debian up, and the windowing system (KDE was the default) looked nice.

Now for the problem and why I did not want to use it.  The basic
problem is that is was too easy.  You may wonder why I would say this,
since I was looking for an easy install.  During the hnx-install
procedure they ask you where to put the swap and the root partition.
They will of course also let you run without swap.  Unfortunately they
don't let you install other partitions like /var, /tmp, /boot, etc.
You end up installing a system with just a '/' partition and swap.
You reboot to enter Debian and these other partitions aren't mounted
for you.  Obviously you could fix this problem yourself, but a new
Debian user or someone new to Unix couldn't.  So there were two
reasons I do not use knoppix:

1. The partitioning was limited to root and swap so the benefit of
auto detection is mitigated by not being able to setup the
partitioning they way I like.

2. Anytime there is a close call on
using a nonstandard procedure (in any system Debian, Redhat,...), I'd
rather just learn the standard procedure.

It was a close call for me not to use Knoppix, since the benefit is
that my system worked well without any difficulties that I mentioned
in the Debian install post.  But I already solved most of those
problems.  I'll just figure out the soundcard myself, it should not be
that hard - famous last words :-)

Even though there was this problem for me, Knoppix is very good for
what it intends to do.  Most all windows users only have a single
partition anyway (C:).  New users don't want to be bothered with the
intracacies of drive partitioning under Linux.  It's probably just
good enough if they can get a swap partition.  Hopefully they can do
at least that.  The repartitioning of the drive might be difficult
since they use cfdisk.  But all a windows user needs to do is delete
all partitions, use new to create the '/' and 'swap' paritions.  To
generate the size of the swap partition, they just need to take 2*RAM
and then add a little (10MB or 5% whichever is greater).  That rule of
thumb is all they would need.

Also, if you ever want a quick installation, Knoppix works very well.
It asks very few questions and all the packages (for the basics of a
desktop) are included already on the cd.

Another purpose for Knoppix might be if you want to run Linux at work
but aren't allowed to modify the software on your computer (because of
some corporate policy).  Knoppix will run off the cd.  I am
not sure if it includes development tools though.  It might be nice to run
off a laptop you get from work.  You can use Unix and the corporate
policy makers would not notice.

So in summary, I think Knoppix is very good for new users.
Experienced unix users may want to just use the standard Debian
install procedure.  But if experienced users have problems installing,
they may want to install Knoppix and take the XF86Config file or look
at how it detects and installs other hardware for hints.  Also if
Debian developers are interested in getting a better install process
for Debian looking at the Knoppix package would be a good start.

Bill Gooding
Date: 5-22-2003
(Note: I put the date just in case this
post is read by someone later, computer advice has a short shelf life,
and at some of my statements may not be valid as Knoppix improves)