[TriLUG] Debian installation.

Ed Warnicke hagbard at physics.rutgers.edu
Thu May 22 21:53:18 EDT 2003

In my experience with Debian unstable you can expect to have an
issue with it about twice a year that might actually be impacting
( ie something breaks in a serious enough way you must downgrade to
keep going, like when they broke libpam about 2 years ago ).
That being said there are quite some several improvements
that let you be more... selective about taking updates:

apt-listchanges will show you the changelogs for the packages you are
about to update and confirm you want to update them.

apt-listbugs will show you the outstanding bugs against the version
you are about to install, so you can get a feeling for those things
that have been reported broken and how severe those bugs are ( and
whether they've been resolved ).

As to using unstable in a production system, it depends on what you
mean.  I wouldn't suggest using anything you haven't tested thouroughly
in a production system.  This implies redoing your testing when you
are preparing to upgrade that production system.  I'd apply that rule
equally to any Linux distribution.  I suspect most of the time if you
were to take a snapshot of unstable and test your production system
on it you'd find it to be as stable or more stable than most other
distributions.  The difference with Debian is that most people don't
just install it and leave it alone. Most Debian users upgrade
their Debian systems daily.  I wouldn't recommend using any system
in production that you are updating daily unless you can test it
daily before rolling it out into production.

As to Debian support forums... I've never really had to use them.  Usually the
answers to my questions about it are either clearly documented in a bug
at bugs.debian.org, in the recent mailing lists at lists.debian.org,
dealt with in the man page or /usr/share/doc/<pgkname>/, or answerable
in less than 2 minutes of googling.  This is not to suggest that Debian
support forums shouldn't be helpful and friendly, but Debian is
such a heavily overdocumented system I've never had to use them.

Ed