[TriLUG] Purchasing a new laptop (slightly OT)

Joe Meador linux at alien.biochem.wfubmc.edu
Fri May 23 13:40:56 EDT 2003

Sorry to rehash one of the most popular threads, but I'm in the market for
a new Linux-capable laptop and have just a few questions ...

Is there any advantage to getting a P-4 M vs a standard P-4 processor?  I
was looking at the Dell Lattitude 640C for around $1700 but just
today noticed for around
$1400 I can get a similiarly equiped IBM Thinkpad G40.  Both have 2.4 GHz
proccesors, IBM with 256 Megabytes of RAM vs 512 for Dell, both have
CDRW/DVD Rom combo drives.  I don't want to spend much more than $1800 for
it.  I really want a laptop that has the trackpoint or other
eraserhead-type pointing device.  The DVD/CDRW combo is a necessity as
well (if not a DVD writer).  I also prefer a decent video card and
everything (minus winmodem / infrared) should work in Linux.  I don't care
too much about weight as long as it's light enough that I can tote it
between work and home on a regular basis.

Thanks a bunch

Joe Meador