[TriLUG] Purchasing a new laptop (slightly OT)

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Fri May 23 19:59:27 EDT 2003

I have  to second the Apple motion.  I have a 700 Mhz G3 powered 14"
iBook and I love it.  Like some of the pervious posters have said -
don't rely only on the Mhz speeds of a computer to make a
determination.   That said, the new generation of iBooks have a 900 Mhz
processor and as large as a 60 gig HD (40 std), so you're getting a
little more bang for your buck than I did - especially when you
consider the recent price drop of iBooks (after the release of the 12"
PowerBook).  I've also got a CD-RW, firewire, 2 USB ports, a modem, and
a 10/100 ethernet port (not to mention a 802.11b airport card - but
that was $100 extra).

My wife has a 15" PowerBook with the G4 processor and a DVD-R drive and
you do see some performance gains with the G4, but not a huge amount.
Not enough to justify the cost, IMHO.  The one thing that the powerbook
has that I wish my laptop had is a PCMCIA  slot (which the powerbook
has one).

X11 works great on my iBook so I'm able to X around to Linux and UNIX
boxes with ease using ssh -X.

If you're set on a non-apple laptop I'd suggest the IBM as well.  IBMs
are put together nearly as well as Apples with attention to detail like
rubber grommet mounted HDs (standard on iBooks and I think IBMs as
well).  Personally, if you are going the Intel route, I'd suggest a
mobile class Pentium.  I think the regular pentiums get WAY too hot in
laptops.

Greg